We were recently asked by the Oxford Times to share a recipe with them. We were delighted to be asked and our Head Chef Dan chose one of his firm favourites – Roast Cotswold Chicken served with herb potato dumplings and seasonal vegetables. It was fabulous to see it in print alongside an article on Jo Robinson and The Kitchen.
For those who love cooking and missed the recipe in The Oxford Times – here it is!
Roast Cotswold Chicken, Herb Potato Dumplings, Baby Vegetables, Saffron Broth
For the chicken
100g unsalted butter, softened
½ bunch of basil, finely shredded
Sea salt and fresh pepper
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sized whole Cotswold white chicken
1 litre good chicken stock
Pinch of saffron strands or 1 tsp powdered saffron
Baby seasonal vegetables e.g. asparagus, carrots, peas, turnips, cherry tomatoes
For the potato dumplings
500g starchy potatoes, baked in their skins and still warm
1 small free-range egg, lightly beaten
Pinch of salt
160g plain flour
2 tbsp fresh tarragon and rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix the butter with the shredded basil and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate half the basil butter.
- Take the remaining half the basil butter and push it under the skin of the chicken, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 1½ hours or until thoroughly cooked. When cooked remove from the oven and allow to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is roasting, make the dumplings. Peel the potatoes and pass through a sieve. Place in a bowl, make a well in the centre, add the egg, salt and ¾ of the flour and the chopped herbs. Mix well to a dough consistency adding more flour if required.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour then roll out the dough into long cylinders, approximately 1-2cm wide. Cut the cylinders into little dumplings approximately 1-2cm in length. Place onto a flour dusted plate ensuring they are all kept separately, then refrigerate until required.
- Whilst the chicken is resting, heat the stock and reduce to approximately half of the quantity. Add the saffron and allow to simmer.
- Add the vegetables to the stock to cook, then add the dumplings 5 minutes before serving.
- Joint the chicken into required pieces, then place in a serving dish and reheat for a few minutes in the oven.
- Add the remaining basil butter to the simmering saffron stock to lightly thicken. Pour the stock and vegetables over the chicken, garnish with freshly picked garden herbs.
We hope you love this dish as much as we do!
To book a table at The Kitchen or to view our menus please visit our website or call us on 01295 690615. The Roast Cotswold Chicken dish is often on our menu, although we like to mix things up a bit and regularly change our menus to reflect the seasons and our passion for the finest market produce sourced from the local area. Whatever you choose, you can rest assured it will be cooked to order, just for you, with precision, passion and flair.
We look forward to welcoming you to The Kitchen.
The Kitchen Team x